Saturday, September 23, 2006

What Not To Wear

A long pant with a pointy-toed shoe will elongate legs. A fitted jacket will balance out proportions. Clothes can be comfortable, even when they aren't sweatpants.

Who hasn't heard these phrases escape from the mouths of Stacy and Clinton, the hosts of TLC's "What Not to Wear?" I was able to host my own 4 hour mini episode in my sister's closet today. Yes, I spent four hours of a sacred Saturday--sorting, sifting, scrutinizing, and surveying my sister's wardrobe.

I warned her in advance that I would be gentle, but honest, in my comments and opinions. And trust me, there was a lot to comment on. Overgrown sweaters, knits stretched beyond recognition, pants from post-pregnancy days, and dresses that brought back memories of high school dances and sweaty palms. Perhaps the saddest and most comical find was a black-velvet, mandarin-inspired jacket. Though it might have been a keeper had it not been too large, the shoulder pads were just a bit more than I could handle. They were the clincher for securing its Goodwill fate.

Aside from participating in a much needed closet cleaning, today I was treated to a bit of nostalgia. While quite literally just material in nature, it's amazing what clothes can represent in our lives. We all have pieces that just won't ever be tossed out: the college hoodie, the ex-boyfriend's sweater, the t-shirt from that crazy spring break, and the quintessential pair of skinny jeans (because seriously, we all might get our acts together and squeeze into that hallowed pair someday, right?).

Clothes reflect who we are, and tell stories of who we've been. My favorite articles have traveled the world with me. What are you favorites, and what could they tell us about you?

5 comments:

simplicity said...

Funny you should ask. I was recently at my parents house and as I was leaving it was quite chilly out so I went to my sisters bedroom (she's away at college) to borrow a sweatshirt. There I found a fraternity sweatshirt given to me by Stacy. (I never was quite clear where she got it though???? :))

I'm currently loving my pointy toed shoes with jeans as my "style" for now.
There are a few other shirts from the years that I've kept around for memories too...NPU Tennis, North Park, U of MN...they are perfect for a nice cool fall day of lounging around.

My closet is stuffed...I need to book a session with you! I've got stuff from high school, college, maternity...lots of STUFF.

You've really got me thinking now about my clothes and what some represent to me, where they've been and what they say about me.

Melissa said...

hmmmm. well, i loved my gold sparkly shrug that's now floating around downtown chicago, but if it were still mine it would remind me of my bachelorette party. ;) i "own" a harvard sweatshirt that i "borrowed" from a friend that i don't think i'll ever return (it was $5 on the streets of boston, think he's noticed?) that reminds me of choir tour and an overturned van and a trip to omaha. i'm actually in dire need of a few new clothing items... it's been a long, long time since i last went shopping, and the closet is looking pretty sparse.

Anonymous said...

well i use to have lots of stuff crammed in my closet that i never wore but held some type of significance. then i started living with natalie. she goes through her closet about every 6 months and if she hasn’t worn it, it gets donated (either to me or np friendship center.) i don't quite do the 6 month thing, but i do get rid of stuff much more frequently...except that dang pair of jeans. someday they will fit....

ps hi megs...love bob:)

Brett and Kristin said...

Hi Megs! So, favorite clothes, eh? My current favorites are anything that goes with sandals, and prefferably, a skirt. I just got a new one, which I have to pat myself on the back for my Dutch bargain shopping, it's an orange layered skirt with some sequins and beading, and goes perfectly with a top I found the same day, both of which I got for under ten bucks :) In looking through my closet recently, I realized that most all of my clothes were major sale items, or hand-me downs from anna's or sarah's closets :) hey, hope you're doing well! my greek hasn't progressed much at all :) surprise, surprise :) have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Hey, for some reason I went to your blog... and thought M's been a bad blogger this past month... I then looked to see that this month and the previous month were record postings... I then thought "what was going on that there are so many posts?" THEN I read this... I can't believe it has been a year and a half! Well, it was fun, and I hope my closet is looking better these days! Although that mandarin velvet jacket, yep still in a bag, in the closet, figured the kids can use it for dress-up, or Halloween, or something :) M