Saturday, October 28, 2006

You've got mail...

Lately I've been experiencing some inner turmoil about my impending graduation and subsequent vocation. Because of the campaign work I've been doing right now, I basically have a job in Lansing (provided my candidates win their races...fingers will be permanently crossed for the next 10 days), and I have some really amazing contacts to carry me through there.

BUT, and this is a big but, being involved in state politics has a major drawback, that being the fact that I'd have to live and work in Michigan. And for those of you who know me best, and others who know me just a little, Michigan has never been a dream working destination for Megan. Ever since attending North Park, my heart has longed for the city, and I have spent many a frustrated day being cooped up in the suburbs. Chicago has always been the immediate post-graduation goal.

So...the debate in my head comes down to this. Do I take the seemingly "smart" path and stick with the great contacts and opportunities, or do I follow the dream path through the clouds and pack my bags and head for the places I've always thought I would love? I've always been a firm believer in doing the things we love and living the lives we truly want to live, but what if the opportunities here in MI are just a stepping stone to arriving at one of those "this is absolutely what I love" vocations? Do we choose safety over adventure? Do we put our faith in what may come, or what is already known?

Even as I write this, my heart knows what the answer to this quandry is. My head hasn't quite let go of the alternative option, but in time I'm sure it will fall into line. Living life is hard. I've always wished that God would put a little postcard in the mail for me, simply explaining the correct path for my life in five or six neat little bullet points. But alas, I've yet to receive such a postcard, and thusly, the battle continues on in my crazy crazy brain...

No comments: