Monday, January 29, 2007

Searching for the Truth...

Though the calendar today says January 29, 2007, the 2008 presidential elections are practically upon us. At least that's how the media is making it appear.

It's true that candidates are busy forming exploratory committees, visiting key states, and schmmoozing with all the right people. Some have thrown their hats into the ring, others are playing coy...but rest assured, the mudslinging and sensationalizing has begun.

Just today I was chatting with someone who told me some information about Barack "Hussein" Obama that I was previously unaware of. It seems that Mr. Obama attended a Muslim school in Jakarta, Indonesia, as a child. The story I received purported that he was, in essence, a closet Muslim parading around as a Christian in order to gain the approval of American voters. Perhaps you've read/heard a similar story like this one.

But after perusing the internet a bit more, as you may have also done, I found articles and editorials such as this, from writers at Newsweek who balanced the story I had originally heard.

So now what? Who do I believe? Who's telling the rest of the American public, and myself, the truth?

After working the 2006 election cycle I learned a number of things--among them, the power of information and the media, and the manner in which the media can manipulate information to serve their agenda. It makes me think of that new John Mayer song, Waiting on the World to Change:

"When you trust your television
What you get is what you got
Cuz when when they own the information,
They can bend it all they want "

It's quite annoying really...to know that we can't trust our media to provide us with accurate and honest reports of the issues and items that are pertinent to our lives. I often complain about the hordes of uninformed citizens scattered throughout our land, but if they have quasi-factual stories with which to inform themselves, is it really so awful that they aren't aware?

Clearly, an issue such as this demands a response. But what, and who, and when and where and why? If enough of us would make a fuss, would Fox News, MSNBC, CNN, USA Today, The New York Times, Newsweek, NPR, Rush Limbaugh, or any other network/commentator/source, really stop and change the manner in which they bring us the news?

I'd like to believe that the truth is out there, and that it is within our reach. I know of a book, a really good one, that says this is the case. So I suppose I shouldn't abandon all hope. I suppose I should continue to educate myself through a wide spectrum of sources, that I should continue to sift through the chaff to find the nuggets of fact buried within. I suppose I should continue believing and hoping and praying that the truth will indeed...be revealed in the end.

And if I grow weary and I find that I'm not able to continue doing all that I've pledged to do above, I'm just going to call Richard Branson and move to space. Feel free to join me if you'd like...preferably those of you who enjoy talking about politics...

6 comments:

simplicity said...

Great post Megan! And great thoughts and notes. When I was at the U of MN I had a class on media communications that uncovered a lot of the things that we "believe because they tell us it on tv". I'm sure this is no surprise to you but the media is controlled by 6, yes thats SIX, different media outlets. Clear Channel and Walt Disney being the largest. Meaning those two companies are in control of news stations, magazines, books...websites...it goes on and on. But to think that most of our "information" comes from only SIX true sources when you go all the way back...is kind of pathetic.

I'm rambling now but had to put my 2 cents in....and hey...space sounds like a good place to live.
As long as they don't have stairs that my son might fall down :(
:)

stacey said...

yes...space...great idea

Steve said...

I totally agree Meg...I usually randomly pick three news sources, then compare/contrast them to actually find out what is going on.

If I could do one thing about the election, it would be making a law that only allows campaigning the year of the election. My biggest disgust is that the people "running" almost 2 years in advance will be spending the majority of their time stomping around an schmoozing..instead of doing the job they were elected to do. I say everyone should hit the race January 1st of 2008, and not a minute before.

That's my 2 cents for the day. I take cash/check or charge.

Steve said...

While this isn't on the subject, I hope your internship is going well! If you see Tim Cochran, tell him I said hi (if he remembers me).

Your topic of false news makes me think of two books. Have you read "Damned Lies and Statistics" or "How to Lie with Maps" in any of your classes? Both are easy reads...but quite interesting when you apply them to government and/or community development/planning.

Megasue said...

I'm so glad that I have conscientious friends who are proactive about the issues of the world and educating themselves. Kudos to you guys!

And yes Simplicity, Mickey Mouse is trying to take over the world. It is completely pathetic. If only those ears didn't make him so charming...

And Stacey...let's see, space? Marquette? They're about equal distance from Grand Rapids, aren't they? :)

And Steve, excellent thoughts on campaign reform. It would be an interesting concept...you should talk to your congressman about that. Do you also accept paypal for your comments?

Steve said...

Nope, no Paypal...it's an evil empire.