Sunday, February 18, 2007

My New Economist

Imagine reading this headline tomorrow morning:

"More than 20,000 people perished yesterday of extreme poverty."

The stories would put the stark numbers in context--up to 8,000 children dead of malaria, 5,000 mothers and fathers dead of tuberculosis, 7,500 young adults dead of AIDS, and thousands more dead of diarrhea, respiratory infection, and other killer diseases that prey on bodies weakened by chronic hunger. The poor die in hospital wards that lack drugs, in villages that lack antimalarial bed nets, in houses that lack safe drinking water. They die namelessly, without public comment. Sadly, such stories rarely get written. Most people are unaware of the daily struggles for survival, and of the vast numbers of impoverished people around the world who lose that struggle.


The words above are not my own, but those of Jeffrey Sachs--my new economist who I've just picked up by way of a fine recommendation from Bono. I've just begun reading his book, "The End of Poverty," for a social justice group that I've joined, and I think I should give everyone a fair warning about the blogs to come in the next few weeks. They may tend to be a bit emotionally-charged, some may involve the rantings and ravings of a young idealist, a few might disturb the status quo of our American lives, and I'm sure to climb on my soapbox a time or two. But hopefully, if nothing else, they will give you a bit of insight into the mind of Jeffrey Sachs and the innovative economic theories that he is currently flooding the air with.

"This book is about ending poverty in our time. It is not a forecast. I am not predicting what will happen, only explaining what can happen. Currently, more than eight million people around the world die each year because they are too poor to stay alive. Our generation can choose to end that extreme poverty by the year 2025." ~p. 1

I feel like my life, and those of many of my friends, is reaching a difficult crossroad where the reality of what we've been given, and what the rest of the world lacks, is made undeniably apparent. It is at this intersection that the lines blur and the mass of gray confounds me. We are passionate about saving the world, but also about designer handbags and flat-screen plasma televisions. We want to buy fair trade, but we also want to buy those labels that may have come from dimly lit factories in southeast Asia.

How do the Haves reconcile their lives with the Have-Nots? What are realistic expectations for our generation and our society at large? And are those expectations truly noble enough for the calling at hand? Do they really take into account the potential that our talents, giftings, and resources hold?

Clearly, there are lots of questions. But sadly, few answers...for now anyways. I'm looking forward to hearing what Mr. Sachs has to say about some of these things. I'd love to hear what you might have to say as well...

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Megs, I'm so proud of you for these reflections and realizations. I think our generation finds themselves engaged in a particular tug-of-war between wanting to give and wanting to have. It's great to see some churches becoming so actively involved in the quest for justice in corners of the world where hope is an incomprehensible four-letter word, but there is so much to be done. Let it begin with the willingness of our own hearts to start making the difference in our immediate communities. Looking forward to talking to you more when you come to visit next...I'm hoping you and my dad can carve out some time together for much of the same. His wisdom on these topics is matchless. You are both an inspiration to me...

bobbie rose said...

megs i am reading the same book right now!! so far so good. it has been a while since i have read such a 'heavy' book for fun so it is taking me awhile. sometimes i read and reread just so i can try to grasp what is being said. i really appreciate his writing style thus far. it is complex enough to get the point across but dumbed down enough for us non-economists in the world.

anyways, we will have to have a little discussion when you come to town in march.