Tuesday, May 15, 2007

A "No" Thank-You Moment

A couple years ago I experienced one of my best summers ever. It was my first summer home after returning from Greece, and I spent it in Traverse City living with my fabulous friend Jessica. She and I had a summer to remember. The weather was particularly spectacular that year, and when we weren't at the beckon call of hungry guests in a certain establishment, we could be found baking in the sun, on a boat, riding bikes, walking the bay, carousing downtown, and grilling-out with friends.

It was out of this summer that the term "Thank-You Moment" was born between she and I. So many times throughout that summer we felt overwhelmed by the goodness of God...as seen in the lake, the sun, the sand, our friends, our health, and overall...in the massive amounts of blessings we have experienced in our lives.

We LIVED off those Thank-You Moments, and we continue to even now. Jessica recently moved to Florida, and when we chat on the phone we always share about the TYM's that may have taken place since we last conversed. Though we have both seen our share of trials and struggles, God's grace has abounded and the TYM's have been numerous.

Today, after learning about this news, I experienced something contrary to the welcomed Thank-You Moment. Rather, it was more of a NO Thank-You Moment. And I'm pretty upset about it.

My dear dear friend Simplicity, who I have lauded as my hero in some circles, is facing a battle that I wish I could politely, yet firmly, decline on her behalf. A simple "No Thank-You" to this situation would do the trick, and all would still seem right with the world.

You see, rather than feeling overwhelmed by the goodness of One, I am wrought with grief and sadness about this sudden development. I do not know why tragedy of this sort is allotted to some, and not to others. Why some may never have to associate this word with members of their immediate family. Why others have uttered it more times than they would have desired. Why the ones who seem to have done everything right are forced to carry the burdens that might seem more fitting for those who never cared, never nurtured, never loved...

I don't understand this life, the things that go on, the events that transpire in the lives of those that we love most dearly.

I don't understand why some days are so awe-inspiring that I struggle to pass two common syllables across my lips, and why other days it's all I can do to keep myself from turning and cursing at the sky.

Like today...

which has become a really angry, confused, frustrating "No Thank-You Moment"...

3 comments:

simplicity said...

Oh Malegan
Thank you for your words. How I was ever lucky/blessed enough to count you as a friend.

Thank you for your prayers. Your thoughts and your love.

Anonymous said...

Great post,
I don't know "simplicity" like you do, but cried as soon as I read her last post. And with you, I am praying at least 3 times a day for her. And also, I am with you in trying to understand why these things happen to great people, and yet the evil ones live on?!
I just keep trying to remind myself that, "God works all thing for good for those who love him." It seems to be that when it rains, it pours....

Melissa said...

amen and amen.